When using windows, viruses are always a concern. There are too many sources through which your system can be easily infected by a virus. One such way is using your flash drive on some other computer, which might have already been infected by viruses and using it back on your own system. This way, the virus present in that system could easily get into yours through the usb. You can avoid this by making your usb drive write-protected, thereby preventing viruses from writing malicious codes into your usb. This might not be necessary if your computer is protected by an Antivirus. However, for people like myself who are too lazy to have an antivirus checking files in and out of their system every time, this would be highly helpful in protecting their computers from viruses to some extent. The following steps will help you in making your usb drive write protected. Here we go!
Quick steps :-
1. Insert your usb drive into the computer.
2. Goto Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> Run and then type diskpart.
3. Now type list disk in the command line which would display all the available storage devices in your PC.
4. Note the disk number for your usb drive and type select disk x where “x” is the usb disk number.
5. Type the following command as it is without the quotes.
“attributes disk set readonly”
6. Once given the above command and hitting enter, your usb drive is made read only i.e write protected. You will be able to read files from your usb drive but cannot write anything into it. This way your usb drive is protected from viruses.
7. Now if you want to revert the settings back to normal, type “attributes disk clear readonly” by selecting the same disk in diskpart. That is it!
Note:- Please remember that the tutorial here is only to protect your usb drives from viruses. This can’t guarantee the safety of your computer from other source of viruses. So, I would still advice you to go for a good antivirus for complete protection from viruses. If you have anything to say, share it in the comments section below!